Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Marine Corps Marathon

this past weekend my good friend erin
ran the marine corps marathon in dc.
the kids and i went to root her on
while alex continued cramming sessions
for the big test.
erin did an amazing job,
making 26.2 miles look like the easiest thing,
and the race had such a fun, 'proud to be an american'
energy to it that i found myself getting misty-eyed.
the kids were great sports about it all with the exception
of crying on almost the entire drive there and back.
hutch endured being in a stroller
way longer than any toddler should be expected to,
and i am eternally grateful to all of
the low-flying airplanes and helicopters
for keeping him entertained.
the only time he got upset involved
trying to exit the metro at the marathon stops.
it took over an hour to get out because of
all of the people. everyone was pushing
everyone else and the h man got
a little freaked out.
it was like a herd of cattle
and reminded me of a similar situation boarding a ferry to
vieques, puerto rico that prompted
eric to say, "pretty much don't like kids anywhere."
in short, was it a lot of fun? yes
will i go on a road trip just the kids and i anytime soon?
ummmm, no thank you.












































































2 comments:

Meredith & Eric said...

you are my hero. seriously.

Davy said...

stace,

What is her full name? Erin.... I am totally drawing a blank. She is from TAMU, no? And yes, when I read about you exiting the metro with 2 small children I thought, "Hell no!" in my book, at least. Looks gorgeous there! Thanks for the invite to the blog and I will keep up... have a good one... ellen...

and what is her name? Erin V.?