Monday, March 9, 2009

teXAS oUR TEXas

a little over a week ago
our family headed to the
lone star state for a little r&r.
i think trips to see either sets of family in texas or kansas
just get sweeter and sweeter as the kids get older
and close bonds are formed.
the weather was exquisite in lake jackson
for the entire week, allowing hutch to wear his favorite outfit (which is none at all)
every day. we could be outside all day with the excpetion of naps and bedtime,
and feasted on wine, mojitos, my dad's smoked ribs and fresh seafood from my favorite place
on the beach that reopened post-hurricane ike, complete with the wooden sailor
alex feared ike had castaway forever. (for you surfside fans, kitty's purple cow also opened, and you can read about it on my folks site..the link is on the right)
eva, the wonderful woman who helps care for my grandmommy,
even made us some of her famous mole and allowed me to be her apprentice.
she calls me mija. come on people, how does it get any better?
sadly, my camera batteries died prior to my brother and tara coming,
which is a shame, because they are so wonderful and
so wonderful with their godchildren.
hutch is so closeknit to his mcmomma and ada and loved all of the time with them.
what made me happiest was the bond he feels with his great-grandmommy.
she was the first thing he wanted to see post-nap and spent a lot of time
carefully selecting leaves, grass, and flowers to bring to her room. it was very special
to witness.
it i make this all sound dramatically dreamy and magical, it was. any time the family, food and the beach can be in constant rotation, i am there. it makes me so excited to go to kansas city in june as well.
we were welcomed back to charlottesville with snow, but as i sit here typing it's already 70 outside, the windows and doors are open, and birds are chirping, so there you go. spring is coming.

2 comments:

Meredith & Eric said...

Absolutely delicious. The picture of Alex and Hutch is pure perfection. Only to be topped by the one of her chubby legs. It makes me so anxious to spend time with them. Maybe I will have to drop by KC when you are there! Painfully cute.

Greg and Liz T said...

so sweet - I'm about to cry from reading your blog (GT would laugh - he thinks I never cry). I LOVE the pic of Hutch crinkling his nose in his Hutch shirt. can't wait to see you all